Friday, February 20, 2009

Who Needs Pottery Barn!

So I've been really wanting to get some book shelves for the kid's rooms to put next to their beds. One of their favorite times of day is getting to ready just before going to bed. I've eyed these same book shelves in the Pottery Barn cataloges and others for a while. I just couldn't bring myself to pay around $40 per shelf. So after scoring one from a neighbor's yard sale for $2, I had an idea. Jason took a picture and the measurements of the shelf and sent them to my Father-in-law. He's very handy with wood and we have some priceless items that he has made in the past. I commissioned him to make me ten of these shelves and thought I'd share how they turned out. I still have about three that are not hung yet awaiting for me to find the right place. I love the talents of others and how they can help another out. Thanks for doing this for us Alan. We will not be leaving this house without them. It has especially been great for Kadin as he has a very tall bed, and loves having a lamp and books right at his reach.

2 comments:

Clair said...

I love these and have also drooled over them in the PB catalog. They look great! Let me know if your father in law decides to make a business of making them. ;)

Unknown said...

Those are great shelves. A good way to keep books by the kids beds. Hmm... I think I need some!