Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How Did It Go?


I was driving with my children on their day off from school to an amazing pumpkin patch

farm, for what was to be a perfect day. I was enjoying the first day of dry weather in a long time thinking to myself "There is Sunshine in my Soul Today". "Oh, it is wonderful" to get to play all day without a care in the world. Then my phone rang, and I answered it. I can tell you now that "I Stood All Amazed" to find Brother Longhurst was calling to talk to me. He asked if I'd be willing to speak in tonight's session of Conference. My first thought was "Be Still My Soul" how does He Even know who I am!

I so badly wanted to tell him I wouldn't be available. That I'd be "Far Far Away on Judea's Plains," or at the very least "High on a Mountain Top".

Instead, my mind immediately went back to the last words from our Prophet's voice at Sunday's General Conference. When he urged us to "Do What Is Right" when we are "Called to Serve". I mean, I know "The World Has Need Of Willing Men" and that "Because I Have Been Given Much I Too Must Give". So after "I Wondered Through the Still of the Night" about how I could accomplish this assignment I "Cast My Burdens Upon The Lord." The thought then came "Did You Think To Pray"? "With Humble Heart" and through the "Spirit of God" I decided to "Carry on Carry on Carry on".

The topic I was given to speak on was "As I Search the Holy Scriptures," how does it help me to "Choose the Right", have more "Love At Home", stay "True to the Faith" and know "Where Can I turn for Peace".

Oh "How Great the Wisdom and the Love" my Father in Heaven must have for me as He knows I need to "Come Unto Jesus" more fully in my life. I am grateful He trusted me with this opportunity to prepare a talk and I pray that you'll "Let the Holy Spirit Guide" you to receive the messages you need individually tonight.

 


I "Count My Many Blessings" that I could "Come Listen to a Prophets Voice" during this past General Conference. Through many "Sweet hours of Prayer" I have had "More Holiness Given Me" and "I Know My Redeemer Lives".


So I got through speaking at our Stake Conference last weekend. I can't begin to tell you what a roller-coaster of a week that was for me. I was challenged physically, emotionally and spiritually from Saturday to Saturday. First was running that Half Marathon, which had me walking around like the "Tin Man" for several days. Second was preparing for the speaking assignment and third was standing to give it. Boy, WHAT A WEEK and I couldn't be happier that it's OVER.


I cannot tell you how amazing it was preparing my thoughts for that night. I have never questioned whether my faith is real or true. I've always just known, but the times I'm given to really focus on the teachings of the gospel have helped strengthen my testimony. I know that the spirit took over that night as I shared some of my personal experiences that have come from studying the scriptures. I will always remember this as a highlight in my life, but still NEVER want to speak in Stake Conference again.


Above in the highlighted area is a little something I came up with as my opener just to cut through my nerves before I moved into my thoughts. Thanks to ALL of you who gave me advice, support, prayers and words of encouragement. I truly felt of your love.


*DISCLAIMER* = To anyone who many have spoken to me between last Tuesday and Saturday night, I wasn't myself. When I am nervous I say things that I cannot be held responsible for. I'm just not myself.




4 comments:

Andrew said...

hhahah, i enjoyed reading this one. I am sure your talk was excellent! maybe you are still too petrified to think about it.
The picture of you on this post is gorgeous, of course, you always have been.

chaoyi

Unknown said...

You are amazing Amy! I'm sure you did a wonderful job. I like your opener, very well done :)

Unknown said...

...oh and did I mention that you are so dang beautiful? well, you are!

Jason and Amy Caldwell said...

It was the best talk I've ever heard Amy give - I told her that she needs to go out on top and never speak in church again.
It really was an amazing talk and I even learned some new things about my wife.